IIBA – International Institute of Business Analysis
What is IIBA, what are chapters and what certificates are offered?
Knowledge at a glance: The International Institute of Business Analysis – IIBA – is a non-profit organisation of business analysts that professionalises methods and techniques of business analysis.
The organisation for business analysts
The International Institute of Business Analysis – IIBA for short – is a non-profit organisation based in Canada. As the name suggests, the IIBA is dedicated to business analysis and thus to people working in requirements analysis or requirements engineering, project management or process management.
Members, publications and certifications
Currently there are approximately 29,000 members and more than 300 company members and 120 national chapters active worldwide under the umbrella of IIBA. Through the national chapters, IIBA seeks to promote professional standards and practices of business analysis at the local level. For example, there are
Many of these chapters offer webinars and events for getting to know each other and exchanging ideas.
With the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge – BABOK for short – the IIBA has published a guideline describing proven methods and techniques of business analysis. Approximately 150 authors from 20 countries contributed to the preparation. For IIBA members, the current version 3 of the guide is available free of charge in various languages. It is also the basis for the various certificates:
- The Entry Certificate in Business Analysis (ECBA) covers basic knowledge about the approach to business analysis.
- The Certificate of Capability in Business Analysis (CCBA) is aimed at users with 2 to 3 years of practical experience who have to / want to take responsibility for larger or more complex projects.
- The Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) addresses users with extensive experience who are also considered to be the leading members of the BA community. From January 2020, a corresponding exam will also be available online.
- The Certificate Business Data Analytics (CBDA) focuses on users who want to perform analysis-related work effectively.
- And the new, competence-based Agile Analysis Certificate (AAC) addresses both the need and the demand for agile and analytical communities. The goal is to improve collaboration in transformation projects.
Further details about the different certificates, the individual chapters, partnerships or studies can be found here »
Here you will find additional information from our Smartpedia section: